Thunder Bay, March 6, 2017 – The Public Appointments Secretariat of the Province of Ontario, by an Order-in-Council, has appointed Gil Labine as the new Chair of the Board of Directors of the North West Local Health Integration Network (North West LHIN) effective February 22, 2017. His appointment comes following the departure of Joy Warkentin who completed her term with the North West LHIN Board of Directors on January 26, 2016. Since Joy’s departure, Dan Levesque has been Interim Board Chair.
The Public Appointments Secretariat of the Province of Ontario, by an Order-in-Council initially appointed Gil as a member of the North West LHIN Board of Directors in November 2014, for a three-year term. On November 4, 2015, Gil was appointed as Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of the North West LHIN.
Gil, a resident of Thunder Bay, is a Criminal Defense Lawyer specializing in Criminal Litigations as a partner in the firm Atwood Labine LLP. The long-time Thunder Bay criminal lawyer is deeply committed to the improvement of health care in Northern Ontario. He has served as President and Director of William Creighton Youth Services, Director with the Canadian Mental Health Association and member of the Board of Directors of Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.
Gil brings a wealth of experience from outside health care, including membership in the Criminal Lawyers Association, the Thunder Bay Law Association and The Advocates Society, as well as nine years on the Board of Directors of Lakehead University.
”I look forward to working with the Board and our stakeholders in advancing health care transformation in our region and going forward with the Patients First agenda to improve access to quality services and health outcomes for patients and their families.”
- Gil Labine, Board Chair, North West LHIN
“We welcome Gil to his new role on the Board of Directors and we would like to thank Dan Levesque for his leadership under the past year as Interim Chair. We note with appreciation both their dedication and commitment to improving health care in Northwestern Ontario.”
- North West LHIN Board of Directors
- Currently, the Board of Directors is comprised of: Carol Neff (Thunder Bay), Cathy Farrell (Thunder Bay), Tina Copenace (Kenora), Dan Levesque (Geraldton), Darryl Allan (Fort Frances), Tim Berube (Thunder Bay), and Herb ZoBell (Thunder Bay).
- The role of the LHIN Board of Directors is to oversee, advise on and govern the strategic direction and priorities of the LHIN.
- Directors are appointed by an Order-In-Council, through a process administered by the Public Appointments Secretariat, for a term of up to three years, and may be appointed for one further term.
- The Chair and the Directors are appointed based on their expertise, experience, leadership skills and the needs of the LHIN and are accountable, through the Chair, to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care for the LHIN’s use of public funds and for its results in the local health system.
- The North West LHIN is responsible for planning, funding and integrating local health services – hospitals, long-term care homes, the Community Care Access Centre, community health centres, community support services, mental health and addictions agencies, independent health facilities, family health teams, aboriginal health access centres, among others.
- The North West LHIN and its Board of Directors are responsible for more than $650 million of health care services delivered in Northwestern Ontario.
For more information on the North West LHIN, please visit our website: www.northwestlhin.on.ca
Hugh Mullally, Corporate Communications & Community Engagement Consultant
807-684-9425, extension 2013
Toll free 1-866-907-5446
Petronilla Ndebele, Director, Corporate Communications & Community Engagement
807-684-9425, extension 2039
Toll free 1-866-907-5446