Cathy Farrell Appointed As New Vice-Chair
Thunder Bay, August 4, 2017 – The North West LHIN is pleased to announce that Cathy Farrell has been appointed by an Order-in-Council as the new Vice-Chair to the Board of Directors of the North West Local Health Integration Network (North West LHIN), effective July 11, 2017. Cathy was initially appointed to the Board as Director on April 24, 2013. Since Dan Levesque’s departure, Cathy has been Interim Vice-Chair.
Cathy brings excellent leadership, strategic planning and governance skills and experience to the board. Cathy also has extensive professional experience related to child welfare and developmental services. She is a registered social worker, and currently operates the North of Superior Adoption Services in addition to consulting with Thunder Bay Family Network. She also serves as the Vice-President of Branch Affairs with the Ontario Association of Social Workers.
Cathy was the founding Executive Director of Wesway, a respite care organization that supports families and caregivers in their own homes. Her other work experience includes managing Children’s Clinical Services and the Fair Start Program at Thunder Bay District Health Unit. Cathy also served as Resource Consultant with Choices, an innovative pilot project for adults with developmental disabilities in Thunder Bay. Cathy has been actively engaged in leadership roles with numerous community organizations and boards, including Communities Together for Children, Lakehead Association for Community Living, Residential Placement Advisory Committees, school councils and community groups.
“We are pleased to have Cathy appointed to our Board as Vice-Chair. She has an outstanding background in social work, community health and relations and we look forward to continue working with Cathy as we move forward with implementation of Patients First and the North West LHIN Health Services Blueprint.”
- Gil Labine, Board Chair, North West LHIN
"I’m thrilled to be appointed as Vice-Chair and look forward to continue with the transformative work we are doing to improve health outcomes for people in the Northwest region."
- Cathy Farrell, Board Vice-Chair, North West LHIN
- Currently, the Board of Directors is comprised of: Gil Labine (Thunder Bay), Cathy Farrell (Thunder Bay), Tina Copenace (Kenora), Darryl Allan (Fort Frances), Tim Berube (Thunder Bay), Herb ZoBell (Thunder Bay), Carol Neff (Thunder Bay), Beatrice Metzler (Thunder Bay), Dorothy Piccinin (Thunder Bay), and Cindy Jarvela (Thunder Bay).
- The role of the LHIN Board of Directors is to oversee, advise on and govern the strategic direction and priorities of the LHIN.
- Directors are appointed by an Order-In-Council, through a process administered by the Public Appointments Secretariat, for a term of up to three years, and may be appointed for additional terms up to a six-year maximum.
- The Chair and the Directors are appointed based on their expertise, experience, leadership skills and the needs of the LHIN and are accountable, through the Chair, to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care for the LHIN’s use of public funds and for its results in the local health system.
- The North West LHIN is responsible for planning, funding and integrating local health services as well as delivering home and community care services. The North West LHIN holds accountability agreements with hospitals, long-term care homes, community health centres, mental health and addictions agencies, and other community support services.
- The North West LHIN and its Board of Directors are responsible for more than $650 million of health care services delivered in Northwestern Ontario.
For more information on the North West LHIN, please visit our website: www.northwestlhin.on.ca.
Petronilla Ndebele, Director, Communications and Engagement
807-684-9425, extension 2039
Toll free 1-866-907-5446
Hugh Mullally, Manager, Communications, Engagement and Stakeholder Relations
807-684-9425, extension 2013
Toll free 1-866-907-5446